The hot, humid summers in New Jersey can be tough on your lawn. But with a little care and attention, your lawn can stay green and healthy all season long. Here are some tips for keeping your lawn looking its best:
- Mow regularly. Mowing helps your lawn stay healthy by removing dead grass and promoting new growth. It also helps control weeds. Aim to mow your lawn once a week, more often if it’s growing quickly.
- Water deeply and less often. Watering deeply encourages roots to grow deeper, making your lawn more drought-resistant. Watering less often also reduces the risk of fungal diseases.
- Fertilize in fall. Fertilizing in the fall helps your lawn recover from the summer heat and prepares it for the winter.
- Aerate your lawn. Aerating your lawn helps improve drainage and reduce compaction. It also helps your lawn’s roots get the oxygen they need to stay healthy.
- Overseed in fall. Overseeding in the fall helps thicken your lawn and improve its overall health. It also helps crowd out weeds.
- Control weeds. Weeds compete with your grass for water, nutrients, and sunlight. The best way to control weeds is to pull them by hand or use a weed trimmer. But you can also use herbicides, either pre-emergent or post-emergent.
- Mulch your lawn. Mulching your lawn helps retain moisture and keeps weeds from taking root. It also helps your lawn look neater and more manicured.
By following these tips, you can keep your lawn looking its best all season long. And if you need help, there are plenty of lawn care companies in Bloomfield, NJ that can assist you. So don’t hesitate to ask for help if you need it.